My recipe has been chosen for a Featured Favorite on Alesha’s blog Full Time Mama for her weekly Delicious Dish Tuesday post! Thanks Alesha ❤
Quin-What?! I know, I had no idea what the story with quinoa was until I tried it, and now I am hooked! I have to say, this grain is amazing for a light summer salad, or a tasty side dish. It is one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat, contains almost twice as much fiber as most other grains, plus iron, magnesium, riboflavin and lysine. As I always say “You can never have enough lysine.” I hope you enjoy this quinoa salad as much as we do!
What you’ll need:
1 bag red quinoa
1 small onion diced
2 semi-firm avocados diced
1 small jalapeno diced
1 red pepper diced
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
2 cans salmon or tuna (You could also poach your own)
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
What you’ll do:
1. Cook quinoa according to package instructions. This is super simple, and doesn’t take much more than boiling water and letting the quinoa steep. I must warn you, the package indicates that quinoa is done when tiny tendrils appear, and they do indeed, and freaked me out the first time I saw them! I thought I had done something wrong, I assure you, this is normal…
2. While the quinoa is cooking, combine all of your diced ingredients in a large bowl, open cans of black beans, corn, and salmon or tuna, and add to the bowl. Splash the avocado with a bit of lemon juice to keep it from browning.
3. Add in cooked quinoa after it has cooled slightly.
4. Season with salt and pepper, add in chili powder and lemon juice, and toss together gently.
5. Serve, and revel in the compliments you will receive!
*Garnish with a lemon round, serve in a pretty glass bowl, and eat dockside while enjoying a nice breeze on a sunny day!