Today I have Mar from T.O. & fro taking over SnapGinger. She blogs about her travels, adventures, recipes and her life. She takes some of the most amazing wildlife photos and has a beautiful love story. I am so excited to have her guest posting for me today. AND she is sharing a fantastic Broccoli & Cheddar Soup recipe! We are huge soup fans in our household, so this is def next on the list for us! Take it away Mar!
Hi SnapGinger friends! My name is Mar and I can be found over at T.O. & fro. I am a small town-raised, big city-living girl meant for a simple life surrounded by Mother Nature. I blog all about life as an environmental educator, outdoor enthusiast, animal lover, photography junkie and travel addict.
Fun fact – my husband and I lived in Alaska for 3 years, while he played for a professional hockey team in Anchorage. We are now back in Canada and call the concrete jungle of Toronto home.
That’s us. Aren’t we cute? One more fun fact – we started dating waayyy back in 2005, and after 8 years of dating, thousand’s of miles traveled, numerous cities visited and even more hockey games watched, on a rainy beach in Alaska, we got engaged and were married in June 2013.
But enough about us, onto the point of this post…
Winter is all about comfort food. Are you with me on that one?! One of my go to comfort foods is a nice hot bowl of homemade soup. Soup is so easy to make, and often requires minimal ingredients, which makes it the perfect lunch or dinner. Today I’m sharing a classic, and one of my favourite, soup recipes – broccoli and cheddar soup. Enjoy!
p.s. This recipe is so good that my husband went back for seconds. He’s not usually a soup kind of guy.
Broccoli & Cheddar Soup
1/2 onion, chopped
2 gloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a pot over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Melt remaining butter in pot over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Gradually pour milk into flour mixture, whisking constantly.
4. Whisk chicken stock into milk mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 20 minutes.
5. Add broccoli and sautéed onions and garlic. Simmer under broccoli tender, about 20 minutes.
6. Stir in cheddar cheese, a handful at a time, until melted.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
A HUGE thanks to Jamie for letting me take over SnapGinger for the day. Please stop on by T.O. & fro to say hello. There’s plenty more soup recipes where this one came from.
New to T.O. & fro? Start here:
Where to find me: