Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and I’ve got some goodies in store for you this week! What says “I Love You” more than a homemade gift from the heart? I’ve seen some great Valentine’s Day ideas, and wanted to contribute one of my own: Homemade Valentine’s Heart Cookies.
Whip these up using store bought dough, and adding your special touch to the icing and decorations. Package them up and you have a cute Valentine’s Day gift for anyone you love! I’ve included a free printable card below to include with your cookie gift. Use a mini takeout food container, cellophane baggie or even a paper baggie sealed with washi tape!
Homemade Valentine’s Heart Cookies
1 package sugar cookie dough
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 tsp water
2 tsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp almond extract (or your favorite flavor!)
Cookie Cutter or biscuit cutter
Gel food coloring
1. Preheat oven according to package directions. Roll out dough onto a floured surface to a thin sheet. Flour your rolling pin as well!
2. Cut out your shapes from your dough. I used hearts, but you can switch this up depending on the season (flowers for Spring, shamrocks for St. Patty’s and pumpkins for Fall!)
3. Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat, or parchment paper. Bake according to package directions.
4. Remove cookies from the oven and place on a baking rack to cool.
5. As they cool make the icing: combine the confectioner’s sugar, water, corn syrup, extract and stir to combine. Add in your food coloring gel a tiny bit at a time, and stir. Continue to add coloring until desired tint is reached.
6. Ice the cookies once they’re cooled with a straight spatula. Adorn with sprinkles and enjoy!
Try this recipe for cookie dough instead, and avoid some of the troubles that I had with the cookies spreading a bit while baking!
Download the free printable card, and print it out- use mod podge to attach it to scrapbook paper, or washi tape the corners to some card stock!
I hope you enjoy these scrumptious cookies!! More Valentine’s Treats and Ideas are in store this week on SnapGinger!