My honey and I have been having so much fun experimenting with our CSA veggie basket that we have come up with a few more recipes. Why stop at just 3? Here are 3 more fresh CSA recipes that we’ve been loving, and I think you will too!
We are new chard converts! This quiche was really simple and really delicious. My only recommendation: wash your chard really well. And when you’re done, wash it again. There were the tiniest bits of sand in my chard, even after I thought it was totally clean!
(SORTA) BLT Quiche
1 9″ store bought pie crust
1 large bunch of rainbow chard, chopped small
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 pound bacon, cooked, drained and chopped small
1 onion, minced
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese (chef’s choice, I used Italian 5 cheese blend)
salt & pepper to taste
1. Pre-bake pies crust according to package directions, if necessary. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large skillet, over medium heat, drizzle in olive oil and add onions when hot. Cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
3. While this cooks, add milk, eggs, nutmeg, cayenne, mustard and salt and pepper to a large bowl and whisk together. Add in cooked bacon and set aside.
4. Add chopped chard to skillet with onions, season with salt and pepper, cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
5. Add in cherry tomatoes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened. (softness is the goal here! haha)
6. Add your chard, onion and tomato mixture to your pie crust, and top with your egg mixture. Top with cheese.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes until custard is set. Let stand and cool for 15 minutes before enjoying!
Ready for recipe number 2?!
I posted the pic below on Instagram and had a few followers comment on the delicious looking purple veggie below! (Fruit? I have no idea) I said it was a kohlrabi, that much I did know, but I had no idea what I was going to do with it! My bestie Natalie commented letting me know that it is delicious and refreshing raw, and she eats it like an apple! I took inspiration from dear Natalie and decided to treat it like an apple or jicama, and make a delicious slaw!
Radishes are big faves in our house, and we’re growing our own jalapenos, so I decided to toss those in for a great slaw! This is perfect for chicken tacos, fish tacos or a light side dish!
Spicy Kohlrabi & Radish Slaw
1 medium jalapeno
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
pinch of each: Cajun Seasoning, Ground Cumin, Lemon Pepper, Chipotle Seas Salt
salt & pepper to taste
1. Following Natalie’s direction, I peeled the kohlrabi like an apple. I used a sharp knife (watch your fingers!) but I think you could try a vegetable peeler. The skin is thick so you have to be careful and patient either way!
2. From there I broke out my mandolin and sliced up the kohlrabi. I didn’t realize that there was a julienne blade, and I would have used that, because I ended up cutting the thin slices into thin strips. Either way, the end goal is thin strips!
3. I used the mandolin on my radishes and left the thin slices whole, I love the look of little radish circles.
4. I used the mandolin one more time to make thin jalapeno slices, and diced them from there, again, could have used the julienne blade! One benefit of the way I did it was being able to remove a few seeds, to decrease the heat. More seeds equals more heat, so adjust as necessary for your household!
5. Add the 3 chopped ingredients to a large bowl, add in pinches of all 4 seasonings and the lemon and olive oil.
6. I used my hands to coat, and topped with plastic wrap and let sit for about an hour for the flavors to meld together!
If you haven’t used a mandolin for thin slicing and chopping, I strongly recommend it! I have a few other chopping devices, including a food processor, but the mandolin is just so classic, and the clean up is super simple! I’ve linked the one I picked up here via an Amazon Affiliate link!
For recipe number 3, make sure to follow Mar at T.O. & Fro for my Guest Post on August 3. I’ll be sharing The One Chicken Recipe Every Summer Needs! It’s made with farm fresh asparagus from our CSA and tomatoes from our garden! You’re going to love it!